Filing your income tax return is an essential responsibility for every taxpayer, ensuring compliance with tax regulations and contributing to the smooth functioning of the economy. After successfully filing your tax return electronically, the next crucial step is to e-verify it. E-verification is the process of validating and authenticating your tax return filing electronically, eliminating the need for physical verification.
In this blog, we will provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to e-verify your income tax return, making the process efficient and hassle-free.
Step 1: Access the Income Tax e-Filing PortalVisit the official Income Tax e-Filing portal (www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in) and log in using your user ID (PAN) and password. If you are a first-time user, you need to register on the portal before proceeding further.
Step 2: Navigate to “E-Verify Return” SectionOnce logged in, locate the “My Account” tab and select the “E-Verify Return” option from the drop-down menu. This section will provide you with the various e-verification methods available.
Step 3: Select your Preferred E-Verification Method
Choose the e-verification method that suits you best from the options listed in the “E-Verify Return” section. Follow the on-screen instructions to proceed further.
Step 4: Complete the E-Verification Process
Depending on the method you selected, follow the specific instructions to complete the e-verification process:
- Aadhaar OTP: Enter the OTP received on your registered mobile number linked to your Aadhaar card and submit it on the e-Filing portal.
- Net Banking: Select the bank with which you have an internet banking facility. You will be redirected to the respective bank’s website. Log in to your account and follow the instructions provided to validate and e-verify your tax return.
- EVC via Email or Mobile Number: If you choose the EVC option, you will receive the EVC on your registered email address or mobile number. Enter the EVC in the designated field on the e-Filing portal to complete the e-verification process.
- Bank Account EVC: If you have linked your bank account to your income tax account, select the bank from the list provided. You will be redirected to the bank’s website. Log in to your account and follow the instructions to generate the EVC. Enter the EVC on the e-Filing portal to complete the e-verification process.
- E-verify the income tax return using Demat Account: If you have linked your demat account to your income tax account, select the demat account from the list provided. You will be redirected to the bank’s website. Log in to your account and follow the instructions to generate the EVC. Enter the EVC on the e-Filing portal to complete the e-verification process.
- E-verify ITR using ATM: Visit the ATM machine of your bank. Insert your Debit Card & validate it by entering the PIN. From the services, select option to generate EVC for ITR filing. You will receive an EVC on registered mobile number (which is linked to your bank account) and registered e-mail id.
Step 5: Confirmation of E-Verification
After successfully completing the e-verification process, you will receive an acknowledgment. This acknowledgment serves as proof that your income tax return